Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lanthwaite Hill - Wild Camp

tents up - looks like it's going to be a nice evening

My mate David is really into his photography, check out his Wainwright Fellwalker Facebook page for some brilliant Lake District photography.  Make sure you 'like' his page too.  David wanted to have a go at wild camping - the best light on the fells tends to be at the start and end of the day so a camp out should guarantee some decent photos.

We have some ideas for future wild camps - Fleetwith Pike, Grasmoor and others but last night David wanted to have a practice run somewhere near and easy.  Lanthwaite Hill is a short stroll through the woods from the parking place.  It has beautiful views over Buttermere and beyond so it sounded ideal.

Anyway, this trip was about photography so I'll let the pictures do (most of) the rest of the talking:

"I'm on Lanthwaite Hill"

over to Red Pike and the High Stile range in beautiful evening light
 
tents up, time for a few tinnies

Crummock Water and Buttermere going to sleep

Both David and I had tent woes.  I have decided that my tent is too small.  It really is tiny, I couldn't straighten my legs.  It looks like I've found an excuse to buy something.

David had a larger two man tent but hadn't practised putting it up.  With a bit of a joint effort and resorting to reading the instructions, we had the tent set up and it looked pretty good (apart from the slope that he had decided to pitch his tent on).
 
The mighty 'M' shaped Melbreak
  
"good morning"
   



zoomed in on Rannerdale Knotts




No comments:

Post a Comment