Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mellbreak Pictorial

A great walk up and over Mellbreak from January 2010:

looking over Buttermere towards Fleetwith Pike - a misty, moody day

at the edge of Buttermere.  There are many great walks on the fells
around this lake but today we're heading in the other direction.

up here.  First view of Mellbreak

at the start of Sour Milk Gill.  So called because the raging waters look
like frothy sour milk.  A great climb straight up here (although apparently
somebody died doing this).  Not going up here today though.

looking over Crummock Water towards Grassmoor and Whiteless Pike



at the bottom of Scale Force

starting to climb now


one of the peaks (Mellbreak has two)

see!



heading down there now.  Steep descent.  That's Loweswater in
the distance.

looking back up the steep way down (huh?) I know what I mean.

Oscar.


Plenty of damage from the November floods.  These three lakes (Buttermere,
Crummock Water and Loweswater) are all part of the river system
that led to the devastating floods in Cumbria in November 2009. 


that water is so clear, it's a bit cold for a swim though

although it's lovely once you get in

more flood damage on the path back to Buttermere


When I got home I consulted my Wainwright books.  The ever grumpy Wainwright strongly advises against the route I took saying that all the best views are behind you.  I'm glad I never saw this before I went because it really was a great walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment