Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hart Side, Dodds and Clough Head

Clough Head summit looking over towards Lonscale Pike, Skiddaw and Blencathra.  Dodd, the fell we walked up yesterday can be seen jutting out on the left.  Hazy conditions today.

A nice run out today taking in the Dodds from a less popular starting point.  Cockley Moor is about a mile down the road towards Dowthwaitehead.  Dowthwaitehead brought back memories of the GL3d from 2013.  Very fond memories, after running down the road to Dowthwaitehead, I would start to follow the same path that we began the GL3d on before heading off towards Hart Side, the fell that I thought I had been to on Monday, only to realise further downhill that I had been to Whte Stones.  When I got to Hart Side, I confess that I got my gps out to confirm I was where I thought I was but I was pretty sure I was as I remembered the cairn I rested behind the last time I was here.

From Hart Side I picked up a nice path up to Stybarrow Dodd.  I looked left towards Raise and Helvellyn, still a bit of snow around and it was tempting to run along to Helvellyn and back but it was windy and I knew it would be more windy up there so I headed the other way over to Watson's Dodd and then on to Great Dodd.  I had the option of a route back down to the car here but I decided to carry on to Clough Head, visiting Calfhow Pike on the way.  From Clough Head, I found my way down to the Old Coach Road and carried on along it back to the car.

A bit windier than yesterday but still not bad at all and a nice 11 mile round.


down the road towards Dowthwaitehead

Birkett Fell is a subsidiary of Hart Crag - here looking over Watermillock Common and Ullswater

from Hart Side looking towards Stybarrow Dodd

looking back from the climb up Stybarrow Dodd to White Stones on the right and Hart Sid beyond on the left.  I took the path around White Stones which was a great running track.

from Stybarrow Dodd looking West

at Watson's Dodd looking back to Stybarrow Dodd.

and up to Great Dodd
 
at Great Dodd looking back across the Dodds to Helvellyn

and north to Clough Head with Calfhow Pike in between

from Calfhow Pike looking down to Thirlmere

at Clough Head looking over to Blencathra

down at the Old Coach Road after a rough descent down Clough Head.  Wolf Crags ahead on the left.  From here it was a nice easy two miles along this track back to the car

looking back along the track to Clough Head


No comments:

Post a Comment